Pajhwok Afghan News
JALALABAD (Pajhwok): Pakistani forces on Saturday morning resumed firing mortar and artillery shells into Lalpura district of eastern Nangarhar province after a nightlong lull, an official said.
The governor’s spokesman, Attaullah Khogyani, told Pajhwok Afghan News two children were wounded and several families displaced as a result of yesterday’s shelling by the Pakistani forces.
He said the Pakistani forces fired more than 200 light and heavy weapons into the border district.
Khogyani said delegations of different provincial departments had been dispatched to the area in line with Governor Gulab Mangal’s directives to assess the situation and register the displaced families.
Border police sources told Pajhwok Afghan News after last night break, Pakistani security forces resumed shelling.
Naqibullah, a resident, said light and heavy weapons fire could be heard in the district centre where dozens of families had arrived from border villages.
In neighbouring Kunar province, Pakistani forces fired as many as 96 rockets into the Sasrkano district, said Abdul Ghani Musamim, the governor spokesman.
He said one of the rockets hit a civilian house, killing two member of a family – a 15-year-old boy and a woman.
Earlier, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) summoned the Pakistani ambassador in Kabul and lodged protest over the shelling by Pakistani forces and closure of the border.