Home / Archives / 13 miners killed, 5 trapped due to explosion in coal mine near Quetta

13 miners killed, 5 trapped due to explosion in coal mine near Quetta

QUETTA: At least 13 coal mine workers were killed and five others trapped following a gas explosion inside a coal mine in Snjedi some 45km east of the provincial capital on Sunday evening.

The mine explosion incident occurred on Sunday evening when 13 mine workers were working inside one of Al Gailani’s coal filed in Sanjedi outskirts of the provincial capital Quetta,

“One portion of the mine was collapsed due to the explosion of methane gas inside the coal mine trapping all workers inside 650km of the mine.” Chief Mines Inspector Balochistan Iftikhar Ahmed said.

Local residents and coal mine workers commenced rescue operation minutes after the operation but it led to the death of mine workers due to lack of proper training of rescue workers and machinery.

During the rescue operation five rescuers were also killed due to the high level existence of methane gas inside the mine which causes further delays in rescuing other trapped mine workers.

“Yet we have reprieved 13 bodies from the mine but still five workers are trapped and we can’t assume they would be alive.” Iftikhar Ahmed said adding the rescue operation has been halted as the mine still replete with deadly gas.

Balochistan has high death numbers in coal mine explosion due to lack of safety arrangements for coal mine workers. In May at least 23 mine workers were killed when two coal mines were collapsed due to explosion in Quetta’s Sur Range and Marget coal fieleds.

All coal mine labors killed in Sunday’s incident were hailed from Dir KPK Province and their bodies had been shifted to their native town.

Mine workers in Balochistan alleged that private coal mine owners are not willing to adopt safety measure for their workers as they hired private contractors to deal with mine labors.

Source: bexpress.com.pk

Share on :
Share

About Administrator

Check Also

At least 70 militants, including commander, surrender in Balochistan

QUETTA: At least 70 militants and a commander of a banned organisation surrendered to the government …

Leave a Reply

'
Share
Share
Social Media Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com